At a property on Victoria's Mornington Peninsula, workers are up early to install a rooftop solar system. While there's been anger in South Australia over its blackouts this summer, here there are outages every day.
Energy retailers making millions buying solar power on the cheap from homeowners
- the great solar scam: households investing in solar energy and feeding electricity back to the grid for just a fraction of what it's worth
- About 1.6 million Australian homes already have solar panels installed
- paying customers either nothing or four or five cents and avoiding having to buy on the wholesale market for seven, eight, nine cents
- Even making some conservative assumptions, household solar is a bargain for power retailers
- retailers are making between $74 million to $370 million a year by getting rooftop solar on the cheap
Tags: leftwing.info, leftwing, news, australia, politics, political commentary, Solar, Australia, Renewables